Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week 7 Reading Diary: Grains of Rice

A very different and interesting origin story; probably my favorite one yet. This story tell the reason behind why grains of rice are so small. One day long ago one grain of rice was all a man could eat. The grains of rice rolled directly into the village for the people to eat. One day when building a bigger granary, a grain of rice rolled directly into the construction and angered a woman worker. When the worker struck the grain of rice, it broke into thousands of tiny smaller ones and waited back in the field never to bother the people again. This reason behind rice being so small was so interesting to me; I enjoyed reading this one the most. I definitely plan on using this tale for my Storytelling Post later this week.

How many grains of rice are in a pound?
(Grains of Rice: Source)

These were the thoughts from reading The Legend of the Rice, by W.A. Briggs in 1899.

No comments:

Post a Comment