Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week 5 Storytelling: God Among Man

The follow are the written words directly from the Egyptian god of all gods, Ra.

Century 1:
I have created all the planets and all the stars in this universe, I now walk among the people of a planet which the people call "Earth", blending in as one of them. My intentions of walking among my creation is to learn more about them, for I have granted them the power of free will in order to observe just how they decide their own fate. These beginning times can be described as pure, for corruption and wrong doing is unknown to them at this point.

Century 2:
The people of Earth have developed quite rapidly. Though centuries to them are only days to me, they have already exceeded my expectations. They have not only mastered the ways to agriculture, but also have a profound understanding of science and technology. The people I walk among are becoming blinded by their own ways. The people of Earth are finding beliefs solely in science rather than the gods themselves who created them; for without the gods, man would never be.

Century 3:
Earth is no longer, the inhabitants have destroyed their own planet given to them by over populating and exhausting all of its natural resources. Man has now began populating the planett known to them as "Mars". They deserve this as a punishment for wasting away all that was given to them and destroying their planet. The people of Earth can only blame themselves for their great downfall, for I will make Mars impossible for them to strive on...These are my last days among the people of whom I have created.
(The Eye of Ra: Source)

After the people of Earth migrated completely to Mars and settled, the god Ra made the conditions of the planet exponentially more severe as the months went on eventually killing of its foreign visitors from Earth. Mars was no place for man and their trust in science eventually failed them. If the people restored faith in the gods, Ra would have replenished Earth with resources for the growing population, but Ra's own creation had turned against him, resulting in their final end.

Authors Note:
This is an adaptation to the Egyptian Creation story. In the original story, the god of all gods, Ra, summons the earth from a great body of water and walks among man for centuries. I wanted to keep this aspect of a god walking among his own creation in my story. I also wanted to somehow capture how man has abused Earth (much like I have previously in my stories) and lastly put a science fiction twist on it by man finally making it to Mars and attempting to start life there. I enjoyed my last storytelling post from the diary perspective of the climber and wanted to try something similar so I this style is in the thoughts of Ra while he was walking among his own creation, man.

Bibliography:
Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie (1907).

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex! I enjoyed reading your storytelling this week! It was very interesting and very different from everything that I have read in this class this semester so great job! I liked how you split the story up in three different centuries and it was cool to see the world evolve and see the generation of people change. I liked the scientific twist you put on it because it seems so real and so likely that that could happen in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alex! This was a cool perspective on the story of creation. Its kind of sad to think about though, that we are destroying our earth. Hopefully we don't have to go to mars and then eventually be killed off. Maybe the people of earth will realize their mistakes and start taking care of the earth. I heard that the birth rate is going down, I'm not sure if thats entirely true, but hopefully so we don't end up over populating the earth! It was cool how it went past just creation into extinction, and to the god Ra this seemed like no time at all. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alex,
    I really enjoyed reading your story and the perspective you put behind this story of creation.It is sad to realize that we are harming our environment and overall, the earth. I would rather not be shipped off the Mars to just eventually be killed off, just not the way I want to go out haha. Hopefully we, the people of earth, will finally come to our senses and notice what we are doing to cause extremely harsh damage to our world! It was very well done how you flowed from creation into extinction, and to the God, it all flowed very smoothly! Good story!

    ReplyDelete