Sunday, January 31, 2016

Possible Topics!

Possible Topic 1: Persian Tales
Being half Persian myself, I have heard many of the classical Persian tales from my Father as a child. They have always been of great interest to me and they all also serve as great moral stories. I would love to do this topic to not only refresh what I have heard as a child, but also to learn about all the other Persian tales I have never heard of before!

Research so far:
For the topic of Persian tales, I have browsed through the UnTextbook to see if I could recognize any of the stories and one of the main ones that I remember as a child was the story of Arash the archer; a great hero of the Persian tradition.

Possible Topic 2: Ovid's Metamorphoses
As a child, also much like the Persian tales, I have been greatly fascinated with Greek Mythology. I literally am taking this course now because of the interest. I am pleasantly surprised that only the amount of Greek Mythology there is available for us in the UnTextbook, but also the amount of the traditional Persian Tales! Needless to say, I am quite excited to dive right into some great reading from both these first two topics!

Research so far:
Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 1-4) is what I chose to do my week 2 storytelling about, and I really enjoyed it. I have never had extensive knowledge of Greek Mythology so this topic is all very new and interesting. From reading Books 1-4 of this topic, I can already tell I that there are some great moral stories woven in the stories of the Greek gods.

Possible Topic 3:  Egyptian Myth
There really are some great topics to brows through and I could probably pick at 20 topics I would be interested in; Egyptian Myth is my next favorite. Starting from my high school art class, I began a growing interest in the culture when I started to weave Egyptian art into my sketches and painting. I remember doing a piece for a local band that had some very nice Egyptian touches! I will be sure to include a piece of my art influenced by Egyptian culture in this post!

Research so far:
My research for this topic has not been to extensive just yet; I really have never known a good deal about their stories and myths; I have just always been fascinated in their style of art! I have browsed through the UnTextbook and found some really interesting stories to talk about in the future and possibly even my class project!

(An Egyptian inspired piece (unfinished) from my High School Sketchbook.
Source is from my art portfolio)


Possible Topic 4: Buddha
Ah, the wonderful teachings of Buddha; this topic has always been of interest to me too! Like I said before, there are so many great reading in the UnTextbook. Why have I waited this long to take this course? I remember reading the book Siddhartha in High School and it was so interesting. It not only taught some great lessons of life, but also is the story of finding spiritual enlightenment.

Research so far:
My research for this topic so far is a little more extensive than the Egyptian topic. Like I said, my research of this topic greatly began in High School when I read Siddhartha and started to be intrigued by the thought of spiritual enlightenment. I have scanned through the readings provided in the UnTextbook and I can already tell this is probably the unit that you can take away the greatest life lessons in!

Possible Topic 5: Dante's Inferno
The view of Hell by Dante; I remember first skimming through this book when I was younger and being so interested in all the great details and depictions of  Hell. I would consider myself a "spiritual" person to some extent and believe there is a creator of all this beauty around us; as for the existence of Heaven and Hell, I can only explore the bounds of my own mind and wonder. Dante's Inferno is so interesting to me not only because of the great detail of Hell itself, but also Purgatory and Paradise. The thought of a "Purgatory" place beyond our reality is a very intriguing thought.

Research so far:
I have the least knowledge of this section, but definitely plan on writing at least a story about this in the future. I remember looking through the book when I was younger and I have browsed the sections in the UnTextbook for this topic. I have also done some online researching further learning about this interesting divine comedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment