Monday, April 11, 2016

Storytelling Week 12: Alice's Adventure

Alice's Journal
1865
June 12th
12:00pm
I lay at the bottom of this tree and watch the shadows from it's leaves slowly move as the sun rises. I lay here to avoid the family reunion that is happening one hundred yards away. My family can be too much for me at times. I begin to wander further and further into the gardens of my Uncle's house...

12:30pm
I am far lost in this crazy maze of a garden my Uncle has created. Why has he made such a thing? It is almost as if he is hiding something deep within these beautiful flowers..I stand in front of what appears to be an antique wooden door placed nicely in front of a very tall hedge. 

12:45pm
I could not handle my curiosity and opened this door, though it seemed like it was pointless just laying up against the hedge. When opened, a dark hallway appeared in front of my eyes, as if it were an optical illusion and I could physically walk through this door into some sort of alternate dimension. I still cannot take my curiosity, I must explore this discovery fully. 

54:21pm
After walking what seemed to be miles and miles, I came upon another door. This door was locked and it appeared the key for it was hanging just out of reach from the ceiling. After jumping three times to try to grab it, I was catapulted straight through the ceiling and landed right atop an enormous multi colored mushroom. 

33:21pm
I check my watch often but it seems as if time is reversing, or forwarding, or stopping, or....I do not know anymore...Have I been here for hours? Days? Must I say, weeks..? I must explore this strange mysterious place fully. 

98:21pm
After wondering for some time, who knows how long exactly, I stumbled across thee men swinging from one large single swing together; the tree that appeared to be connected to the swing was so tall I could not even see the top of it. As I get closer and closer I see they are not all men at all. One is a man with a very large hat and what looks to be a receipt of some sorts tucked into it, the other is what appears to be a colorful caterpillar smoking a strange mysterious substance, and the last is a cheshire cat what can spin its head round and round like the arm of a clock...I am scared to get any closer...

101:27pm
Just before I could escape their view, I heard a "Hello there Alice!"...I responded "How do you know my name?" The hatted man introduced himself "I am the mad hatter, and everyone here is named Alice! Don't you know?"

I responded "You three are the only ones I have seen here thus far, are there others??" The smoking caterpillar interrupted "Of course there are? Are there not stars in the sky?" It seemed that nothing was making sense to me and though they were speaking English, it was all gibberish. 

Just before leaving, the cheshire cat stopped me and said "Wait Alice! Do you not want to know they way home?" Upon looking back to check the path from where I came, it was completely different. There was now a thick colorful forest of giant mushrooms and furry trees where my empty path used to be. I responded to the cat "I thought I knew, but it seems to have changed on me and I have became very lots it appears." 

The mad hatter now responded "Hop on the caterpillar here and we will take you!" Though skeptical, I found no other option but to follow his direction. 

12:47pm
These three interesting characters took me on a tour showing me all eight legged creatures, candy bushes, houses of cards, and edible tea cups this strange land contained. At the end of the tour, the caterpillar so rudely pushed me off his back and down into what felt like a never ending hole. After hitting the bottom, I looked up to see the exact key that let me into this land. The door was now open though and I was not catapulted anywhere. After walking through the door, I was right back in my Uncle's garden maze. All I could think was "this was what he must have been hiding..."

Mysterious Garden, Source

Author's Note
This story is sort of an adaptation of both of the stories I read this week. I wanted to use both characters I read about from the Alice in Wonderland tales, the mad hatter and the smoking caterpillar. These two plus the Cheshire cat are my three favorite characters from the original so I decided to use all three! I also loved the journal style I used previously for a story so I thought this would be a good one to do the same with. 

Bibliography 
A Mad Tea-Party and Advice from a Caterpillar were the two specific stories that were the inspirations for this adaptation. Both of these stories are from the classic Alice in Wonderland unit, written by Lewis Carroll in 1865.

2 comments:

  1. Hi again Alex!
    I also chose to do this storytelling for week 12 and I love how different our stories are, but including a lot of the same things and scenes. I enjoyed how you set your story up. It was neat to know how long something took and how long she traveled by reading the times. I look forward to reading more of your stories! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read Alice in Wonderland and these are my favorite characters too. I Liked how you made the times start out normal while she was walking around the maze on earth, but as soon as she went to Wonderland all the times are all over the place and don't even make sense! It was very wonderlandy. Also that the Hatter said that everyone is named Alice, but introduced himself as the Mad Hatter. Great story!

    ReplyDelete